With the global economy on the downswing, there has been a sporadic rise in fuel prices over the last couple of years. According to industry experts, this trend seems to show no signs of abating and will continue, given the increasing demand for fuel. Hence, if you are planning on investing in a new car, it would make perfect sense to settle for a vehicle that consumes less fuel and delivers more mileage. Buying a fuel efficient car would prove to be a cost effective investment in the long run as it would help you conserve a lot of money in fuel costs. In this article, we have mentioned 5 tips that will help you make an informed choice in buying a fuel efficient car.
1. The size and engine - Take a moment to consider your daily travel requirements. Is the car meant for personal use or does your family also avail of it? If they do, then you should take into account the number of co-passengers that would be traveling along with you daily. In this regard, you should figure out the ideal boot space you need from your prospective car. You should also consider whether it would be a viable vehicle for making a short or long commute. All these factors would collectively determine the size of your car and its engine.
2. The model and make - Most of us have our own favorite car brands. However, it is best not to be biased by our individual predilections and stress on the utility and cost factor instead. Also consider how often you would require the use of special features such as two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive. In this case always opt for the former as two-wheel drive vehicles are more fuel-efficient.
3. Mileage and fuel consumption - This is the most important aspect in your purchasing decision - the fuel efficiency of the car. Check the fuel consumption label on the car. Compare the cars of your choice on the basis of their fuel consumption and hone in on the one with the lowest consumption levels.
4. Take a test drive - After selecting the most suitable car for your requirements, be sure to check it out first hand. Most car dealers allow you to take a test drive before actually making the purchase. Take the car out for a spin to get a better understanding of its reliability. If it is a used car, ensure to have it inspected by a mechanic to determine its level of maintenance and fuel efficiency.
5. Drive carefully and efficiently - Even though you might have a fuel efficient car, at the end of the day it all depends on the way you drive it. Keep abreast of driving tips and tricks that would help you conserve fuel and save on the maintenance of your car.
In addition to conserving fuel and cutting down on your gas expenditure, buying a fuel efficient car is also a very environmentally friendly proposition. When you buy a fuel efficient car, you would do your bit for the environment while saving on your budget.